Carrie Henning-Smith, PhD, MPH, MSW
The central goal of my research is to advance health equity, with a particular focus on illuminating structural and political barriers to health and well-being. Under this broad umbrella, my work falls into two distinct, but overlapping themes: 1.) illuminating disparities in health, social well-being, and access to care, especially for older adults and rural residents, and 2.) investigating the ways in which environment, from immediate living environment to broader geographical context, impacts health.
Awards and Recognition
- Member, Delta Omega Honorary Society in Public Health
- University of Minnesota McKnight Presidential Fellow, 2022-2025
- National Rural Health Association Volunteer of the Year, 2022
- Fesler-Lampert Chair in Aging Studies, 2021-2022
- National Rural Health Association Rural Health Fellow, 2017-2018